11 Things You Might Not Know About Massage
Here are some fun facts to build your knowledge:
1. Massage can help you sleep better. (Even if you don’t nap during the actual massage.) So many of my clients say they have a great sleep after they have had a massage.
2. When your back hurts, that might not be the only area that needs massage. Sometimes back pain comes from the hip, legs or even the abdomen. Don’t always think that just because your feeling pain in one area that area needs to be massaged, other areas of the body can affect it.
3. Likewise, sometimes hand and arm pain is caused by dysfunction in the neck and shoulder. The body is so crazy and weird.
4. You can stop a massage session at any time. You never cede control of your body. At any time during a massage you can say “no”, “stop”, or even “can you just work on my neck for the rest of the time and skip everything else?” If you are uncomfortable or feel like the therapist isn’t hearing your feedback, or if you just feel like the table is too hard and you have to pee and gosh, this is awful. You can end it.
5. Massage can help your mood. It’s been shown to be helpful in treating both anxiety and depression. I personally have witnessed people walk into a massage treatment in one mood and walk out in a total different mood (a happier one of course).
6. Even small therapists can provide deeeeep pressure. People, especially males look at me and think I will not be able to go deep enough for them. It’s not about size, it’s about the techniques we use!
7. Massage doesn’t ‘detoxify’ your body. That whole thing is a silly myth. It was taught in many schools and you may have heard me say it, back before I knew better. But we know now that it’s just not true.
8. Massage is safe in the first, second and third trimester of pregnancy (unless there are unusual health issues). Some practitioners choose to not do it, but that’s their choice.
9. Deep tissue massage, or any massage, doesn’t need to be painful to be effective. Yes you may feel some discomfort when your therapist is working on a trigger point but if it is too much please speak UP! Run screaming from any practitioner who insists there needs to be pain in a treatment.
10. Your massage therapist loves feedback. We like to know if you hate having your feet touched, and if you looove having your ears massaged. We like knowing your musical preference and if you prefer to start face down or face up. A massage is your experience and we just want to make it an enjoyable one for you!
11. We are totally fine if you want to talk all the way through your treatment or if you want complete silence. I usually gage by my client. We will not get offended if you don’t talk, its your massage.
Do you have questions about massage? Contact me or ask at your next appointment and I would LOVE to answer them!