What is Myofasical Cupping
Cupping started over 3000 years BC in Egyptian, Greek and Asian cultures. They first started using cupping from animal horns to help drain toxins out of snakebites. They then realised over time how effective it was for the muscles and muscular problems. The animal horns then moved to bamboo cups, then glass, plastic and rubber cups.
Today Myofasical cupping is used to improve circulation, reduce tissue tension and stimulate the peripheral and autonomic nervous systems.
Body Balance Health and Wellness use static cupping with a vacuum pump keeping the cups on the skin in the same spot for 10mins. Fire cupping is used also as a form of gliding cupping to move the cups along the skin and muscle for a more broad release.
During a Remedial Massage your muscles are pushed down by the therapists, hands, fingers, forearms or elbows using a positive/downward pressure whereas cupping does the opposite. Cupping lifts and draws the muscle upwards using a negative/upwards pressure allowing the muscles to be stretched and relaxed.
Myofasical cupping is just another modality to help get the muscles functioning back to functioning at its full capacity.
What can Myofascial cupping help?
Myofasical cupping can help with many injuries, here is just a few:
- Lower Back pain
- Neck stiffness
- Arthritic problems
- Shoulder injuries
- Sport injuries
- Stress and Fatigue
Does it hurt?
Cupping is more of a superficial/external technique so it is more of a subtle and gentle technique. You will feel a slight pull and tightness of the muscle but nothing to strenuous. If the pull is too much you let you’re therapist know and they can release some air.
I have been finding with clients that find dry needling too invasive cupping is a great alternative mixing it up with massage.
Will I bruise?
You may have seen crazy pictures of big purple circles on peoples body, you might remember when it was popular with the Olympic swimmers and the media reported on their purple circles. Now with traditional cupping they can leave the cups on the body for 20-30mins which can cause the purple colour but with modernised cupping at Body Balance Health and Wellness I only leave the cups on for 5-10mins. Leaving your to be red and maybe only slightly purple depending on the area of the body. The purple isn’t bruising ( yes it may be a little sensitive for a few minutes after) but its not a bruise. Its just the blood coming to the surface. So it will not be painful to touch and you can go on with your daily activities.
What to expect from your cupping treatment?
- We will palpate the muscles to see where the body will benefit from cupping
- Oil is then applied to the body if we are applying for gliding cupping. We may not put oil on first if static cupping is going to be performed
- Depending on the area is depending on how many cups will be placed on that body part. The cups are all different sizes for different areas of the body
- The cups will be left on for around 10mins and can be moved to different areas of the body after that to ensure all areas is covered
- The cups will be cleaned with disinfect wipes after every use
- The marks on your body can last anywhere between 3 – 7 days
What are the benefits of Myofascial cupping?
- Increased blood flow to the injured areas
- Reduces fluid accumulation i.e decreased oedema
- Stretches the muscle tissue resulting in better Range of Movement
- Gives relief of muscle and joint pain
- Helps break down scar tissue from old injuries
- Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lymphatic fluid
- Stimulates the nervous system, causing an increase of endorphoins and a decrease of pain
- Improves circulation to reduce inflammation
This is just to name a few!
Should I give Myofasical Cupping a go?
Everyone is so different and what they prefer and what works best for their body. With my current clients they are all giving it a go and reporting back to me on how they feel. We can then work together to see what works better for them between massage, dry needling or cupping. I like to work with my clients to get the best results they can, I don’t just tell them, it’s a team effort!
If you would like to try cupping BOOK and appointment online today!