Cupping can be incorporated into your Remedial Massage appointment
Cupping started over 3000 years BC in Egyptian, Greek and Asian cultures. Cupping was administered using animal horns to help drain toxins out of snakebites.
Over time it was shown how effective cupping was for the muscles and muscular problems, moving from using animal horns, to bamboo cups, then glass, plastic and rubber cups.
Today, Myofascial cupping is used to improve circulation, reduce tissue tension and stimulate the peripheral and autonomic nervous systems.
Body Balance Health and Wellness use static cupping with a vacuum pump that keeps the cups on the skin in the same spot for 10mins. We also use fire cupping as a form of gliding cupping, which moves the cups along the skin and muscle for a more broad release.
During a Remedial Massage your muscles are pushed down by the therapists, hands, fingers, forearms or elbows using a positive/downward pressure whereas cupping does the opposite. Cupping lifts and draws the muscle upwards using a negative/upwards pressure allowing the muscles to be stretched and relaxed.
Myofascial cupping is just another modality to help get the muscles functioning back to functioning at its full capacity.
Myofascial Cupping can help with:
- Lower Back pain
- Neck stiffness
- Arthritic problems
- Shoulder injuries
- Sport injuries
- Stress and Fatigue
The benefits of Myofascial Cupping include:
- Increased blood flow to the injured areas
- Reduces fluid accumulation i.e. decreased oedema
- Stretches the muscle tissue resulting in better Range of Movement
- Gives relief for muscle and joint pain
- Helps break down scar tissue from old injuries
- Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lymphatic fluid
- Stimulates the nervous system, causing an increase of endorphins and a decrease in pain
- Improves circulation to reduce inflammation
This is just to name a few! Speak to your Remedial Massage Therapist about incorporating cupping in to your next treatment.